Thursday 22 April 2010

*Phentraform UK Ltd - up to their old tricks


After my
last three complaints, I was sure Phentraform UK would sit down and re-evaluate their marketing campaign.

What was the result?

Have they decided to do the right thing?

Have they sent back their unsold boxes of Quickslimmers, closed down their business and issued a sincere apology to all their customers?

Errr... no. Phentraform are back in this week's Rotherham Record (adverts available here).

UPDATE, 31 May: The ASA have replied to convey Phentraform's explanation. According to them, Phentraform say the advert was published in error, and will not be published again. Amazingly enough, that was the same excuse they gave last time!


This dainty damsel, by the way, is
Evette (woof woof!)

When she finds this blogpost,
perhaps she could pass on a little message for me?

"Attention Phentraform Marketing Executives! Yes, I really do check every single newspaper in the UK."

Yet another ASA complaint follows. Potentially twenty-six breaches of the CAP code, by my count.

"I write to complain about two adverts which appeared in the "Rotherham Record" (April 21, 2010, p19).

Both adverts, which are almost adjacent to each other, are for Phentraform UK Ltd (Quickslimmers).

I have submitted complaints about Quickslimmers adverts in the past; for the avoidance of doubt, neither of the adverts in the "Rotherham Record" matches adverts I have brought to your attention in the past.

I don't have a hard copy of the newspaper, but it can be found at the newspaper archive site, PageSuite, at the following address:

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digital_editions/Page19_a69de8e9-0f56-4d8e-8476-92fe800826d2_d4f11fe2-d994-475e-a04e-754db1a9417b.aspx

For your convenience, I enclose scans of the two adverts in question.

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of fourteen sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

1. The first advert (black background) states:

"'I lost 9lbs in 1k with' Quickslimmers
A Revolutionary, New, Natural, Appetite Suppressant and Fat Burner"

2. Under Section 2.1, I challenge whether the text of the advert is "honest and truthful".

3. Under Section 2.2, I challenge whether the advert has been "prepared with a sense of responsibility to consumers and to society".

4. Under Section 6.1, I challenge whether the advert's weight loss claims "exploits the credulity, lack of knowledge or inexperience of consumers".

5. Under Section 7.1, I challenge whether the advert's weight loss claims are misleading "by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise".

6. Under Section 14.1, I challenge whether the advertiser holds signed and dated proof, including a contact address, for the testimonial ("I lost 9lbs in 1wk with") appearing in the advert:

7. Under Section 14.3, I challenge whether the testimonial is supported, where necessary, with independent evidence of its accuracy.

8. Under Sections 3.1 and 51.1, I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims, and I challenge whether the claims made for the effectiveness of the product are backed if appropriate by rigorous trials on people:

(i) Quickslimmer tablets are natural
(ii) Quickslimmer tablets suppress the appetite
(iii) Quickslimmer tablets burn fat

9. Under Section 51.2, I challenge whether the advertiser is offering to the public a treatment for obesity without suitably qualified supervision.

10. Under Section 51.3, I challenge whether the advert is likely to appeal to people in whom the advertised weight reduction of "9lbs in 1wk" would "produce a potentially harmful body weight".

11. Under Section 51.4, I challenge whether the advertiser has shown that weight reduction is achieved by loss of body fat before making claims for Quickslimmers.

12. Under Section 51.8, I challenge whether the advertiser:

(i) Makes clear how Quickslimmers tablets work
(ii) Gives prominence to the role of diet

13. Under Section 51.9, I challenge whether the advertiser claims that "people can lose precise amounts of weight within a stated period".

14. Under Section 51.10, I challenge whether the advertiser's claims are "compatible with good medical and nutritional practice".

15. The second advert (white background) states:

"Trying to Lose Weight? Diet Failing? Always Hungry? No Energy? You Need Quickslimmers! The UK's Most Powerful and Effective Natural Slimming Pills"

16. Under Section 2.1, I challenge whether the text of the advert is "honest and truthful".

17. Under Section 2.2, I challenge whether the advert has been "prepared with a sense of responsibility to consumers and to society".

18. Under Section 6.1, I challenge whether the advert's weight loss claims "exploits the credulity, lack of knowledge or inexperience of consumers".

19. Under Section 7.1, I challenge whether the advert's weight loss claims are misleading "by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise".

20. Under Sections 3.1 and 51.1, I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove the following claim, and I challenge whether the claim made for the effectiveness of the product is backed if appropriate by rigorous trials on people:

(i) Quickslimmer pills are "The UK's Most Powerful and Effective Natural Slimming Pills"

21. Under Section 51.2, I challenge whether the advertiser is offering to the public a treatment for obesity without suitably qualified supervision.

22. Under Section 51.4, I challenge whether the advertiser has shown that weight reduction is achieved by loss of body fat before making claims for Quickslimmers.

23. Under Section 51.8, I challenge whether the advertiser:

(i) Makes clear how Quickslimmers tablets work
(ii) Gives prominence to the role of diet

24. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser or the magazine. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the magazine."