Thursday 15 April 2010

Back to Back Chiropractic Clinic - feel the quacklash


Ever since news of Simon Singh's momentous libel victory reached me this morning, I've been looking for a chiropractor to spitefully and vindictively complain about.


Luckily it's Chiropractic Awareness Week, and a local clinic has popped up in the local newspaper with an advert that I think happily (or should that be 'blithely'?) promotes bogus treatments.

ASA complaint follows.

"I write to complain about an advert in the "Luton News" newspaper (April 14th 2010, p22) promoting the "Back to Back Chiropractic Clinic".

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of one section of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

1. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."

2. Under Section 3.1, I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims:

(i) Chiropractic "reduce[s] muscle spasms"
(ii) Chiropractic "improves[s] movement"
(iii) Chiropractic "encourages[s] the efficiency of the nervous system"
(iv) Chiropractic "encourages...the bodys [sic] ability to heal itself"

3. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, the newspaper, or with the publishing and alternative medicine industries in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the newspaper."