Thursday 22 April 2010

Barbara Brennan - NASA scientist fallen on hard times


Barbara claims to be a former NASA scientist.


I can't be bothered to find out whether she's telling the truth, but still, I was disturbed by her advert in Kindred Spirit Magazine claiming to teach people to "identify and heal the distortions that lead to disease".

Standard ASA complaint follows.

"I write to complain about an advert in "Kindred Spirit" magazine (May/June 2010, Issue 104, p4).

The advert, for Barbara Brennan School of Healing, promotes a "professional training programme".

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of one section of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

1. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."

2. Under Section 3.1, I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims:

(i) Students on the training programme can learn to "read the Human Energy Field"
(ii) Students on the training programme can learn to "identify and heal the distortions that lead to disease"
(iii) Students on the training programme can learn to "Perform some of the most advanced healing techniques known"
(iv) Students on the training programme can leave it as "amazing healers"

3. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, the magazine or with the alternative medicine industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the magazine."