Saturday 24 April 2010

Betterware - the magnet therapy bracelet


Earlier this month I put in an ASA complaint about Kleeneze and the magnetic products they were selling in their catalogues.



A few days ago, the Betterware catalogue arrived in my letterbox, and it seems even they can't resist the urge to claim that magnets have therapeutic properties.

A third catalogue, from Avon, contained no such claims, and good for them.

Still, agents from the three companies insist on shoving their catalogues through my letterbox - despite the large sign advising them all to get stuffed.

Standard ASA complaint follows.

"I write to complain about an advert appearing in the Betterware catalogue (Issue 3/10, p62).

The advert promotes a "magnetic therapy bracelet".

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of one section of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

1. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."

2. Under Section 50.1, I challenge whether the claim that the bracelet "may help to ease pain around the wrist" is backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people.

3. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser or with the home-delivery and alternative medicine industries in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser."