Monday, 1 February 2010
*Willard Water - Totally safe (for pets)
Willard Water, according to its UK distributors, "Quality of Life", has several miraculous properties including the revelation that it "tastes just like water".
UPDATE, 4th Mar: ASA report that Quality of Life "have given us their undertaking that they will withdraw the ad and that they will ensure that future ads comply with the CAP Code..." Result!
I couldn't wait to tell the ASA.
"I write to complain about an advert that appeared in Nexus Magazine, entitled "The Real Willard Water is here in the UK". [here]
I suspect the advert is in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) Code.
I can provide a scan of the advert by email, or send an original copy of the advert by post, if required.
1. Nexus Magazine is published in the UK "under licence by Nexus Magazine (UK) Ltd". It is available in high street shops like WH Smiths.
2. The February-March 2010 issue (Vol. 17, No. 2, page 21) carried an advert for "Quality of Life", of 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3XX.
3. Section 2.1 of the CAP code states “2.1 All marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful.”
4. Section 3.1 of the CAP code states “Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation.”
5. I challenge whether any of the following claims are true, and I challenge whether Quality of Life hold documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims:
(i) Willard Water assimilates nutrients;
(ii) Willard Water strengthens the immune system;
(iii) Willard Water increases enzyme activity;
(iv) Willard Water helps digestion;
(v) Willard Water encourages plant growth;
(vi) Willard Water encourages vegetable growth;
(vii) Willard Water treats burns;
(viii) Willard Water has powerful antioxidant properties;
(ix) Willard Water balances conditions in anything living;
(x) One 8oz bottle can make 8 gallons of catalyst altered water.
6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, with Nexus Magazine, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or Nexus Magazine.
7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."