Saturday 27 February 2010

*Joe Potts - Hands-on healer


Joe Potts'
website was obliterated when Geocities closed down, so I can't find many details about his improbable hands-on healing claims. He still advertises in Nexus Magazine.

UPDATE, 20th May: ASA report "[The advertiser] has provided their assurance that the wording of future ads will be revised to remove the references to "Back problems" and "Healer". We consider that this will resolve the complaint..."

(Image credit - not necessarily depicting Joe Potts)

Perhaps the ASA can turn up something?

"I write to complain about an advert published in Nexus Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 2 (February-March 2010).

The advert, for Joe Potts, is entitled "Joe Potts - Dorset's 'no improvement no fee' healer".

I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

I suspect that the advert is in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

1. Nexus Magazine is published in the UK "under licence by Nexus Magazine (UK) Ltd". It is available in high street shops like WH Smiths.

2. The February-March 2010 issue (Vol. 17, No. 2, page 77) carried a classified advert entitled "Joe Potts - Dorset's 'no improvement no fee' healer". The advert promotes a hands-on healing service.

3. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."

4. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."

5. I challenge whether Joe Potts holds documentary evidence for his claim that he can heal back problems, and I challenge whether his claim is backed by appropriate evidence consisting of trials conducted on people.

6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, Nexus Magazine, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or Nexus Magazine.

7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.