Saturday, 27 February 2010
*Indiumease - helps you recover from your anti-ageing!
UPDATE, 12 Mar: ASA say "We've already investigated and upheld complaints about this issue and I'm concerned to hear that advertising like this continues. I've therefore passed the case to our Compliance team, which will follow it up."
Like many of my readers, I spend half the day stuffing myself with pills and remedies in a desperate attempt to deny my own mortality.
All this quackery takes a certain toll on my health, but today I read that Indiumease can help me recover from the anti-ageing process!
Health Approach Company offer Indiumease in the UK, but as I can't find their website, you should call them on (+44) 1380 728278 for more information. I have suggested to the ASA that they do the same.
"I write to complain about an advert published in Nexus Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 2 (February-March 2010).
The advert, for "Health Approach Company", is entitled "Indiumese".
I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.
I believe the advert is in breach of several sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.
1. Nexus Magazine is published in the UK "under licence by Nexus Magazine (UK) Ltd". It is available in high street shops like WH Smiths.
2. The February-March 2010 issue (Vol. 17, No. 2, page 71) carried an advert entitled "Indiumese". The advert promoted two products: "Indiumese", a "liquid mineral" available in a half ounce bottle, and "Organica Silica", available in a litre bottle.
3. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."
4. I challenge whether Health Approach Company holds documentary evidence for any of the following claims:
(i) Indiumese may help with type-2 diabetes;
(ii) Indiumese normalises gland function by increasing mineral absorption;
(iii) Indiumese helps anti-ageing recovery;
(iv) Indiumese may normalise the thyroid, pancreas and other glands;
(v) Indiumese makes indium absorbable for the first time;
(vi) Given the comparitive rarity of indium, whether Indiumese contains any indium whatsoever.
5. I challenge whether Health Approach Company holds documentary evidence for the claim that the "organic silica" it supplies can help dispel concerns such as arthritis, rheumatism, asthma, cardiovascular problems, cholesterol imbalance, diabetes, psoriasis, shingles, sinusitis, or any other condition.
6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, Nexus Magazine, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or Nexus Magazine.
7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."
NB. I mistakenly spelled "Indiumease" as "Indiumese" in the complaint.