Friday, 5 February 2010
*Vitalzym - help for enzyme-deficient humans
UPDATE: ASA: Complaint passed to compliance team; "we feel the [advert contains] clear breaches of the CAP code"
Vitalzym is described as a "systemic enzyme therapy". And a good thing, too, because apparently humans are "universally enzyme deficient".
I have no idea what any of that means, but I hope the ASA will appreciate how much work I put in to learning how to count to 25 in Roman numerals.
"I write to complain about an advert published in Nexus Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 2 (February-March 2010).
The advert, for New Dawn Nutrition, is entitled "WWW.VITALZYMUK.COM - The key to a healthy lymphatic system!".
I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.
I believe the advert is in breach of one section of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.
1. Nexus Magazine is published in the UK "under licence by Nexus Magazine (UK) Ltd". It is available in high street shops like WH Smiths.
2. The February-March 2010 issue (Vol. 17, No. 2, page 59) carried an advert entitled "WWW.VITALZYMUK.COM - The key to a healthy lymphatic system!".
3. The advert promoted two products: "Vitalzym", tablets which are a "Systemic Enzyme Formula"; and "Ethos Revital Eyes [sic] Drops", an "anti-oxidant eye support".
4. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."
5. I challenge whether New Dawn Nutrition hold documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims:
(i) Vitalzym can make a difference to your health;
(ii) humans are universally enzyme deficient;
(iii) Vitalzym can clean up the lymphatic system;
(iv) Vitalzym can clean up the blood system (presumably including the lymphatic system);
(v) Vitalzym can cause nutrients to reach cells more efficiently;
(vi) Vitalzym can cause "toxins" to be released more efficiently;
(vii) Vitalzym can be used for pain relief;
(viii) Vitalzym can eat up excess fibrin in the human body;
(ix) Vitalzym can dissolve blood clots;
(x) Vitalzym can dissolve scar tissue;
(xi) Vitalzym can be used for sports injuries;
(xii) Vitalzym can modulate the immune system;
(xiii) Vitalzym can energise the body;
(xiv) Vitalzym can be used for chronic fatigue;
(xv) Vitalzym can dissolve the protein coating on viruses;
(xvi) Vitalzym can benefit many more conditions besides those mentioned above;
(xvii) Ethos Revital Eye Drops are an anti-oxidant;
(xviii) The anti-oxidant properties of Ethos Revital Eye Drops can actually be obtained by using them;
(xix) Ethos Revital Eye Drops can support the eyes;
(xx) Many people have avoided cataract operations by using Ethos Revital Eye Drops;
(xxi) Ethos Revital Eye Drops contain the key nutrient required for eye health;
(xxii) The key nutrient required for eye health can be transferred into a person's eyes by using Ethos Revital Eye Drops;
(xxiii) Ethos Revital Eye Drops are proven to be safe for use with contact lenses;
(xxiv) Ethos Revital Eye Drops are ideal if you use the computer daily;
(xxv) Ethos Revital Eye Drops can be given to pets.
6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, Nexus Magazine, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or Nexus Magazine.
7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."