EDTA is a dietary supplement that is taken as part of "oral chelation" therapy. It's available from Diversified Services who advertise in Nexus Magazine.
UPDATE, 29 Mar: ASA reply "The ASA has previously investigated claims concerning chelation; our sister organisation the Committee of Advertising Practice has stated in advice to advertisers that 'CAP understands that no convincing evidence exists and marketers should make no claims for the efficacy of this treatment'. As we already investigated and upheld complaints about this issue and we are therefore concerned to note that advertising like this continues. I have therefore passed the case to our Compliance team, who will follow it up."
No. I still have no idea what any of it means. I'll let the experts decide.
"I write to complain about an advert published in Nexus Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 2 (February-March 2010).
The advert, for Diversified Services, is entitled "HARD TO FIND - 100% EDTA for oral chelation".
I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.
I suspect that the advert is in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.
1. Nexus Magazine is published in the UK "under licence by Nexus Magazine (UK) Ltd". It is available in high street shops like WH Smiths.
2. The February-March 2010 issue (Vol. 17, No. 2, page 77) carried a classified advert entitled "HARD TO FIND - 100% EDTA for oral chelation". The advert promotes a powder supplement called EDTA.
3. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."
4. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."
5. I challenge whether Diversified Services hold documentary evidence for any of the following claims, and whether any of the following claims are backed by appropriate evidence consisting of trials conducted on people (where applicable):
(i) EDTA removes arterial plaque from the blood;
(ii) EDTA removes heavy metals from the blood;
(iii) EDTA removes cholesterol from the blood.
6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, Nexus Magazine, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or Nexus Magazine.
7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."