Saturday, 13 March 2010
*Mike Gibbard: sucker magnet
Mike Gibbard's website is full of glowing testimonials from his clients (did I say clients? I meant, "suckers").
UPDATE, 27 Mar: ASA advise "With regards to [Mike Gibbard], we've previously advised against this type of approach and we will therefore pass [this case] to our Compliance department for action."
In his Kindred Spirits Magazine advert, Mike claims he can heal all kinds of problems from the comfort of his own home. Naturally, the service isn't free.
"POWERFUL DISTANT HEALING for all problems. £20 per month. Mike and Zak Gibbard, Morwenna, Sidmouth Road, Lyme Regis, Dorset, DT7 3ES. Website www.powerfulhealing.net"
"Rainbow readings" cost another £65, but that isn't a lot of money for the services of a man who can apparently defy the laws of physics.
Bog-standard ASA complaint follows.
"I write to complain about an advert in “Kindred Spirit” magazine (March/April 2010, page 93), which promotes a commercial distance healing service for Mike Gibbard and Zak Gibbard.
I suspect that the advert is in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.
I have submitted a scan of the advert. The advert is towards the top of the page, entitled "POWERFUL DISTANT HEALING". I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.
1. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."
2. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."
3. I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims, and I challenge whether the claim is backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people:
(i) Mike and Zak Gibbard can perform "distant healing"
(ii) Mike and Zak Gibbard's healing can be used for "all problems"
4. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, with the magazine, or with the publishing and alternative medicine industries in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the magazine.
5. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."