Monday, 29 March 2010
*KuK Organic Healing Balm - contains no chemicals (besides all those pesky molecules)
Attention Snake Oil Salesmen!
Put bullshit claims on your websites, and carefully-worded disclaimers in your magazine adverts...
UPDATE, 19 Apr: ASA reply "We have considered your complaint and, because the advertisers make serious health claims in the ad, we have concluded that this case will be best dealt with by our Compliance team."
...not the other way around!
Kuk's "Aloe & Marigold Healing Balm" contains organic Aloe Vera, organic horsetail, organic borage oil, organic apricot kernel oil, organic shea butter, organic jojoba oil, organic marigold, organic essential oils - and the regurgitated contents of someone's stomach.
I've asked the ASA to find out whether the advert's claims can be substantiated.
"I write to complain about an advert in “Natural Health" Magazine (April 2010, page 71), which promotes the "Kuk" organic beauty store.
I suspect that the advert may be in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.
I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.
1. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."
2. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."
3. I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims, and I challenge whether the claims are backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people:
(i) Kuk Aloe & Marigold Healing Balm can heal and repair skin for sufferers of eczema and psoriasis
(ii) Kuk Aloe & Marigold Healing Balm can heal and repair skin for victims of sunburn and heat rash
(iii) Kuk Aloe & Marigold Healing Balm can heal and repair skin that itches due to bites and stings
4. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, with the magazine, or with the publishing and alternative medicine industries in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the magazine.
5. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."