Saturday 13 March 2010

*Eddy Healing Centre: modern witch doctor


A classified ad in Kindred Spirit Magazine offers a remarkable "solution" for HIV/AIDS.


UPDATE, 27 MAR: ASA advise "With regards to [Eddy Healing Centre], we've previously advised against this type of approach and we will therefore pass [this case] to our Compliance department for action."

(Image credit - not Chief Eddy)

Yes, it's another one of those miracle distance-healing services. Quite a distance, on this occasion. If you're stupid enough to send £50 to "Chief Eddy" in Nigeria, there's little I can do to help you.

Eddy can be reached on
00 234 80 35831490 (Nigerian number - cost of calling unknown). Perhaps the ASA will give him a bell.

"I write to complain about an advert in “Kindred Spirit” magazine (March/April 2010, page 93), which promotes a distance healing service, EddyHealingCentre.org

I refer here only to the contents of the advert, not to the service's website. I suspect that the advert is in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

I have submitted a scan of the advert. The advert is in the left-hand side of the page, entitled "AFFLICTED BY AILMENTS". I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

1. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."

2. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."

3. I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following claims, and I challenge whether the claim is backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people:

(i) The healing service can provide a "solution" for AIDS
(ii) The healing service can provide a "solution" for constant pain, tiredness and nightmares
(iii) The healing service can provide a "solution" for infertility

4. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, with the magazine, or with the publishing and alternative medicine industries in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the magazine.

5. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.