Saturday 28 August 2010

Paula Arnold's magical detox wrap


This calming vista is the interior of Beauty Scene, a salon in Nottingham.



The proprietress, one Paula Arnold, has persuaded a neighbouring cafe to stock her flyers. An unwise move, perhaps, because Nottingham is teeming with coffee-drinking sceptical troublemakers!

Among Paula's services are the usual facials, manicures, massages and full-body waxes.

But what's this - "SHAPE CHANGERS DETOX WRAPS"? Tell me more!


"This is an all-natural detox wrap guaranteed to achieve inch reduction, detoxify the body, cleanse the skin and leave you feeling rejuvenated with a smooth and silkier skin..."

And to think that, for all these years, I've been relying on my liver and moderate exercise to keep me healthy. What a fool I've been!

Still, before I give up the swimming and moderate drinking, I'd like to see some actual clinical evidence first.


I wonder if Paula can also substantiate her
claims for refloxology, Hopi ear candles and Indian head massage? ASA complaint follows!

"I write to complain about a leaflet promoting the "Beauty Scene" clinic in Nottingham, which was picked up from a cafe adjoining the clinic.

The leaflet makes claims about various complementary therapies which I believe cannot be substantiated.

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of three sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

1. The leaflet contains the text:

"SHAPE CHANGERS DETOX WRAPS...This is an all-natural detox wrap guaranteed to achieve inch reduction, detoxify the body, cleanse the skin and leave you feeling rejuvenated with a smooth and silkier skin."

2. Under Sections 3.1. 50.1 and 51.1 of the CAP Code, I challenge whether the advertisers can substantiate their claims that the detox wraps can:

(i) "...achieve inch reduction" (i.e. weight loss)
(ii) "...detoxify the body"

3. The leaflet continues:

"INDIAN HEAD MASSAGE...This relaxing head massage relaxes tight and uncomfortable muscles, eases stiffness, stimulates blood circulation and drains away toxins which will eliminate headaches and eyestrain..."

4. Under Sections 3.1 and 50.1, I challenge whether the advertisers can substantiate their claim that Indian Head Massage "drains away toxins which will eliminate headaches and eyestrain..."

5. The leaflet continues:

"HOPI EAR CANDLES...This treatment will help clear congestion from the ear and sinus area..."

6. Under Sections 3.1 and 50.1, I challenge whether the advertisers can substantiate their claim that Hopi Ear Candles "clear congestion from the ear and sinus area..."

7. The leaflet continues:

"REFLEXOLOGY...Relieves stress and improves circulation. This ancient healing art works through pressure point massage on your feet to restore the free flow of energy to the whole body and encourage self healing [sic]. Congestion or tension in any part of the foot mirrors congestion and tension in a corresponding body part and so treating the whole foot will relax and help heal the whole body."

8. Under Sections 3.1 and 50.1, I challenge whether the advertisers can substantiate their claim that Reflexology can "encourage self healing [sic]" and "help heal the whole body".

9. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.