Wednesday 11 August 2010

John Frank the telephone healer


John Frank
, who offers healing over the telephone, is recommended by no less a figure than Judy Piatkus, of Piatkus Books.



Those few among you who are thinking "errr, who?" will be enlightened to discover that Judy Piatkus publishes tomes from renowned scientific luminaries such as... Sylvia Brown and Patrick Holford!

Two adverts for John Frank appeared in this month's Kindred Spirit magazine (available here and here).

I'd like to see some evidence that John Frank can heal people over the telephone, so I can put his Nobel Prize nomination in the post first thing in the morning.

ASA complaint follows.

"I write to complain about two adverts appearing in "Kindred Spirit" magazine, Summer 2010 issue (p90, bottom, and p94, middle right).

The adverts, for John Frank, promote a distance-healing service by telephone.

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of three sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code. I can provide an original copy of the adverts by post, if required.

1. (i) The first advert (p90) contains the text:

"John Frank Spiritual Healing by telephone..."

(ii) The same advert contains a testimonial attesting to the effectiveness of the service:

'John Frank is one of the most powerful psychics and healers I have ever met.' Judy Piatkus, Piatkus Books, London"

(iii) The second advert (p94) contains the text:

"BORN A HEALER, JOHN FRANK offers healing and guidance for emotional and physical problems via telephone. Call 020 8446 4820 to arrange a session. Highly recommended..."

2. Although it is not relevant to the complaint, John Frank's website [1] details the kind of healing he offers:

"Then of course, there is straightforward physical healing . In this case I send healing energy to the relevant parts of the body. I this context I receive special help from a Master Healer from the 'other side'. He chooses to channel his healing powers through me to you when appropriate."

3. Under Sections 3.1, 14.3 and 50.1 of the CAP Code, I challenge whether the advertiser holds documentary evidence to prove the following claims, and I challenge whether the claims are backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of clinical trials conducted on people:

(i) John Frank is able to provide "healing" over the telephone
(ii) John Frank is a "powerful...healer"

4. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, the magazine or with the alternative medicine industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the magazine.

Footnotes:
[1] http://johnfrankonline.com/howcanibenefit.htm
"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.