Saturday 14 August 2010

*Lose those pounds with Human Chorionic Gonadotropin!


It's always a pleasure to bump into an old friend.


An old friend like GoodVitality Ltd, for example!

UPDATE, 6 Oct: The ASA say the advertisers have agreed to "remove the 'weight loss' claim and advertise on a platform-only basis".


GoodVitality sell a number of bullshit products like the ones picture above, but this complaint concerns a homeopathic tincture which their advert claims can contribute to weight loss.

I don't dare look up where "Human chorionic gonadotropin" comes from - I just haven't got the balls.

What actually concerns me about this advert is that, in the UK, homeopathic products have to be registered.

I can't find any evidence that GoodVitality have registered theirs, though it's quite possible I'm wrong.


What I am certain about, is that homeopathy cannot cause "weight loss". ASA complaint follows!

"I write to complain about an advert appearing in "Nexus" magazine (August-September Issue, Vol 17 No 5, p3)

The advert, for GoodVitality Ltd, promotes a homeopathic tincture.

I suspect that the advert may be in breach of three sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

1. The advert contains the text:

"hCG Weight Loss - Human chorionic gonadotropin - As a Homeopathic tincture 50ml, 30c potency for just £15 - See our new You Tube video for some great ideas to help weight loss..."

2. I understand that the "homeopathic tincture" advertised is not a registered homeopathic product in the UK.

3. Therefore, under Section 50.19 of the CAP Code, I challenge whether:

(i) The advertised homeopathic medicinal product is registerd in the UK

(ii) The advert contains product information that is not confined to that which appears on the label (a picture of which I enclose [1])

(iii) The advert does not "include a warning to consult a doctor if symptoms persist"

(iv) The advert makes "medicinal or therapeutic claims" for an anauthorised product

4. Under Sections 3.1 and 51.1, I challenge whether the advertisers can substantiate their claim that the homeopathic product can cause "weight loss".

5. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser or with the alternative medicine industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser.

Footnotes:

[1] Source: http://www.goodvitality.com/hcg-human-chorionic-gonadotropin-tincture-50-ml-228-p.asp
"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.