Thursday 4 March 2010

*Vanessa Jones - have foot fetish, will travel


I wouldn't want the local cranial osteopaths and hands-on healers to think I'm pursuing some kind of vendetta against them. Just to redress the perceived imbalance, here is a local reflexologist.


UPDATE, 7 May: ASA report "[The advertisers] have given their assurance that the ad will be removed and the claims will be replaced with those accepted by the ASA."


Vanessa Jones' advert is the subject of my latest ASA complaint.

"I write to complain about an advert published in the Luton Herald and Post on Thursday, March 4th, 2010.

The advert, for Vanessa Jones, is entitled "Reflexology by Vanessa".

I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

I suspect that the advert is in breach of two sections of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

1. The Herald and Post is a free newspaper distributed weekly in Luton, in South Bedfordshire.

2. The Thursday, March 4th, 2010 issue (page 24) carried an advert entitled "Reflexology by Vanessa". The advert promoted a mobile reflexology service to homes in the Luton and Dunstable area.

3. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."

4. The CAP Code, Section 50.1, states "Medical and scientific claims made about beauty and health-related products should be backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people..."

4. I challenge whether Vanessa Jones holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following direct claims, and I challenge whether the claims are backed by evidence, where appropriate consisting of trials conducted on people:

(i) Reflexology can be beneficial for a wide variety of complaints from back pain to migraine to sleep disorders;
(ii) Reflexology can ease the pain of arthritis sufferers;
(iii) Reflexology has had a a dramatic impact on her patients suffering from hormonal imbalances.

5. I challenge whether Vanessa Jones holds documentary evidence to prove any of the following implied claims:

(i) Reflexology is beneficial for people with circulation problems;
(ii) Reflexology is beneficial for people with digestion problems, ulcerative colitis and IBS;
(iii) Reflexology is beneficial for people with respiratory problems;
(iv) Reflexology can offer instant relief from congestion for sinus sufferers.

6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, the Herald and Post, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or the Herald and Post.

7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.